Search This Blog Only

Monday, December 21, 2009

The worlds most powerful revolver? Bowen 500 Maximum Super Blackhawk


Whoa.  This may be the worlds most powerful revolver.

Built by Ham Bowen http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/ on a Ruger "Maximum" chassis with Bisley frame, it launches a (and I quote John Taffin) serious payload.

"Both John Linebaugh and Hamilton Bowen have offered the .475 and .500 Maximums on full-size 5" Ruger Maximum frames weighing close to four pounds. Recoil is absolutely awful with full house loads using 400 grain and larger bullets, and muzzle velocities exceeding 1,500 fps. There is absolutely no way to describe the recoil. It has to be experienced to be understood. I will say this, when I tested these guns 10 years ago I never fired more than 40 rounds in each one per day and in every case those sessions made me physically ill. This never happened with the .44 Magnum, heavily-loaded .45 Colt, .454 Casull, or even the original .475 and .500 Linebaughs. However, the Maximums are a totally different game and after a morning of shooting I would spend several hours recuperating by reclining on the couch."

Needless to say, I have 100 rounds of .500 Linebaugh and no .500 maximum loaded.  Should I venture down this path?  Maybe I will save this thing for my son.....he's gonna be a biggun..

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, thats a .45 ACP case next to the .500 Max (trimmed .348 case)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have not a hair on your a$$ if you don't kill SOMETHING with this fine revolver.....

    Best,

    Will

    ReplyDelete